Sofia Coppola’s upcoming film about Priscilla Presley will not feature any of Elvis’ music, it has been confirmed.
- READ MORE: Elvis review – Baz Luhrmann’s bold biopic of the King of Rock ‘n’ Roll
The upcoming movie, titled Priscilla, is written and directed by Coppola for A24, and is set for release later this year.
Now, it has been announced that the project – centred around the life of Elvis’ wife – will not include any songs from the late singer’s discography, after his estate turned down the request.
Elvis Presley Enterprises is mostly owned by American brand management company, Authentic Brands Group, who possess 85 per cent of the estate. The remaining 15 per cent are owned by the late musician’s surviving family members.
Now, in a new statement shared with The Hollywood Reporter, the film’s director has confirmed that she reached out to the estate to request permission to use a selection of his songs in her upcoming project, but had her offer rejected. “They don’t like projects that they haven’t originated, and they’re protective of their brand,” she told the outlet.
She also revealed that those working on Priscilla didn’t let the denied request put a dampener on the…